We have been in the midst of a global crisis for many months. As world tragedies continue to unfold this week, individuals may be feeling a wide variety of symptoms. Normal reactions may include anger, shock, confusion, guilt, helplessness and despair. Our nation has been overwhelmed and swept away by stress and trauma. In a world where exposure to news media is at our finger tips, it is difficult for many to cope with the widely publicized media reports.
Ways to cope with world news include:
- Acknowledging your feelings.
- Remembering there is no right way to express your grief.
- Sharing your feelings with someone you trust.
- Advocating and volunteering for causes and organizations that mean the most to you and make an impact on the world.
- Taking care of your mental health by seeking support from loved ones or professional help when you need it.
- Remembering to give yourself and others the empathy that is needed as we continue to navigate through our world of deep grief and sorrow.
Let us know what has helped you cope during this time?
Until next week,
Director of Community Development & Grief Services